Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Good news today!

I was supposed to have two doctor's appointments today - one at the perinatologist (high-risk doctor), and one at the OB's office. The peri called last night and cancelled due to this lovely, icy weather, but I still got to get out of the house and have the "fun stuff" at the OB. John came and picked me up, and it took us almost 45 minutes to get to the doctor. Apparently we got more ice out in our area than in Springfield, so it took us a good while to get to town. Once we got to the city limits there was more snow, and it was much easier to get around.

I started my appointment with a non-stress test (NST). This is where they place two monitors on my stomach. One is to measure contractions (still haven't had any yet) and one is to measure the baby's heartrate. They give me a button to squeeze when I feel the baby move, and the purpose is to see if his heartrate goes up when he's moving around. Well, of course my baby has to be stubborn and kept moving away from the monitor, so it took three tests to get a reading long enough to determine whether is was "good" or "bad." We finally got a good one, and then it was off to the ultrasound room for an AFI.

An AFI is an ultrasound to measure the amount of amniotic fluid around the baby. This is the one I was worried about, because high blood pressure can affect the amount of fluid. The measurements went quick though, and the ultrasound tech determined that there was still plenty of fluid! This was a huge relief! However...we also discovered the this baby is breech! He's supposed to be head down right now, and there he was on the monitor, having a good old time with his head up under my ribs. I knew I'd been feeling kicks in weird places, but I had no idea he'd be breech!

The OB said he still had some time to flip, but she said knowing this baby he'd probably just make himself comfortable going the wrong way! She said if he didn't flip we'd schedule a c-section, which I'm actually okay with. Yeah, the recovery is not fun at all, but I'm not thrilled about being induced into labor either, and a scheduled c-section would mean that my family could be here. Anyway, we still have six or seven weeks to wait and see what happens, so who knows!

My blood pressure was high, of course, but it wasn't outrageous, and the doctor said I really don't need to worry about it much as long as I'm at home resting and the baby is doing good. She said she thought I would make it to the 39 weeks, so that was some good news to hear. Bed rest is working!

So this snow day turned out pretty good for us, and we rewarded ourselves with some Krispy Kremes afterwards. It was a nice day out for me. Hope you're all staying warm and safe!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! It's good to know you're not wasting your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quit feeding him Krispy Kremes and maybe he'll turn his butt around and be ready to hatch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. seeing if I can post something

    ReplyDelete